Travel to Iran: Zoroastrian Sites

This is a travel blog for my 2005 journey to a number of Zoroastrian sacred sites in Iran, in addition to other small excursions. Most of these sites are open to tourists, though some require advanced planning and are often hard to reach.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Peer-e-Sabz Pilgrimage

It is difficult for me to correctly describe in words the feeling of being in the presence of a force – the force of belief and tradition - which in one or two night draws some four or five thousand people to a location which throughout the rest of the year hosts at most 10 people a day. The mixture of spirituality along with the sense of freedom from the normal governing rules create an air of jubilation which I dare say is impossible to recreate in the Western world.

Strangely, it was in a place like this where I missed my friends the most, as I was more of an observer than a participant. This feeling of unanimous joy and unity was one which I had not felt for many years – one which I sincerely hope to share with my friends from the U.S. in the coming years, or at least partially through these pictures.